For some time, many people overlooked the winter delights of Turangi. But recently, travelers are discovering what the locals have always known; Turangi is a paradise! Aside from being a fishing mecca for over 100 years, the town has plenty to offer from hunting, fishing, mountain biking, white water rafting, kayaking, bushwalking, indoor and outdoor climbing, skiing and hiking. Turangi is a beautiful place you shouldn't miss.
Just four hours away from either Auckland or Wellington, Turangi is located at the southern side of Lake Taupo. This town sits on the banks of Tongaririo River and is known as the "The trout Fishing Capital of the World". However, there's far more to Turangi than fishing. The town invites you to come and experience the following:
1. Trout Fishing - For ultimate trout fishing, visit the Tongariro Trout Center which is a hatchery run by the Department of Conservation. The town also has some world-class fishing lodges with experienced fishing guides. You can head out with a fishing guide or charter a boat for some great lake fishing experience.
2. Tongariro River Rafting - The town offers one of the best rafting adventures in New Zealand. With rapids in Grade 3, it is best for first timers to expert rafters. Along the way, you will see plenty of spectacular scenery and wildlife attractions.
3. Skiing at the Tongariro National Park - The park is forty minutes away from Turangi and is famous for two ski fields; the Whakapapa and Turoa ski fields on Mt. Ruapehu.
4. Tongariro Alpine Crossing - Turangi sits on the edge of wilderness and is famous for hiking, hunting, bush walks and other outdoor activities. You can enjoy a one day trek at Tongariro Alphine Crossing, listed by many in the top 10 day treks in the world. It is an 18.5 kilometre, full day traverse passing the spectacular volcanic terrain of Mt. Tongariro.
5. Tongariro River Loop and Tongariro River walkway - If hiking doesn't appeal to you don't worry because Turangi has plenty of beautiful walks that can take an hour or 3 hours to complete.
6. Tokaanu - You can take a leisurely thermal walk at Tokaanu or take a deep in their thermal pools. These pools will help you rejuvenate and relax with their soothing and therapeutic waters.
7. Vineyards and Restaurants - After a day of outdoor activities, you can enjoy a relaxing night dining and drinking wine on one of the many restaurants, bars and cafes in the town. You can relax in a cosy bar or pub or grab a coffee and some chitchat with other tourists at a local café or sip a locally produced wine at a Turangi vineyard.
The list of things you can do and experience in Turangi doesn't stop here. The town has plenty of other attractions that await you. You don't have to worry about staying overnight because there is Turangi accommodation guaranteed to suit your style. There are holiday houses, apartments, cottages and lodges all over the town.