The right Massage therapy supplies are essential for anyone who is serious about entering this field. For any professional, their success hinges on getting and using the best tools and accessories. This is true for long time practitioners and those who are just starting out. Quality equipment and supplies can mean the difference between making a good income and just getting by.
Massage Tables and Chairs
Tables and chairs are two of the main pieces of massage therapy supplies that are a requirement for a professional. Portable tables and chairs are important for therapists who travel to clients' locations.
Some of the best suppliers of quality equipment include Stronglite, Earthlite, Oakworks, NRG and Master Massage. Just as there are different types of massages, certain tables are more suited to particular techniques. Try to get one that will allow you to utilize the full range of your skills. You can start with just a table in the beginning, and then purchase accessories as you build your client base.
When buying massage bed or table, some points to consider include:
- The proper length and width - Your comfort is as important as that of your client. The wrong table will affect the way you perform the massage, possibly leading to strain or injury. Make sure that that the table allows you to lean over comfortably. It should be able to comfortably accommodate clients of varying sizes. The standard widths of massage table are 28 inches or 30 inches. Narrower tables are available, but these are ideal only for a massage therapist who is shorter than average. While tables of varying lengths exist, the best length is 73 inches.
- The padding - The client will be on the table for up an hour or more, so ensuring their comfort is simply good business. The table must be able to accommodate their weight for that length of time, but you also want to avoid a table that is too soft. This may prevent you from applying adequate pressure necessary for some types of types of massages.
- The weight and portability -This is determine whether to but aluminum of wooden tables. The lighter types are made with aluminum but they are also more expensive. Two factors that will help in making this decision are your budget and whether you will be visiting your clients. For massage therapists who will be working at various locations, aluminum is the better choice. Being able to fold and easily carry the table is especially important for those professionals who go to their clients.
- Available accessories - This is a major selling point for many massage therapists. A full package that includes additional components for the table or handy extras like carrying bags could actually save you money.
- Warranty - A good warranty indicates that the manufacturer has confidence in the product, and that is a good investment for your business. It also means that the table should be able to serve you for a long time before it needs replacing.
Chairs are also necessary as some clients prefer to use one when getting certain types of massages. They are also handy for professionals as they are portable and lightweight. Both basic and elaborate designs offer comfort to both client and massage therapist.
The two main types available are robotic and traditional massage chairs. Robotic chairs are becoming very popular as they aid in the massage by vibrating, which encourages relaxation. Always choose chairs where ergonomics is evident, such as those with a good neck, head and armrests.
Where to Buy Massage Therapy Supplies
Finding the right place to get essential supplies is not always easy, but it is a major first step. When purchasing online, the points above still hold true. Find reputable online suppliers by asking for references from other massage therapist who have successful business. Reading reviews of companies that sell massage supplies is also a good way to find sellers of quality items.
Some companies have built their brands over time, developing solid reputations along the way. These are usually the best places to start, but up and coming entities could offer great deals just to get your business. Aside from product specifics and warranty information, pay attention to shipping details and the return policy.
Types of Equipment
Without the right pieces of equipment, you will not be able to handle this job properly. Whether you choose a package deal, or buy items individually, some things are vital to a successful massage business. It is advisable that you find out exactly what accessories are available aside from the basic items like tables and chairs. Some additional, but important items you will need include:
- Bolster pillows
- Side arm rests
- Forward arm shelf
Understanding the techniques is one thing, but you also have to familiarize yourself with the tools of the trade. Durability is one of the main considerations for items you expect to use repeatedly. Aluminum frames offer more sturdiness and tend to last longer. Some products use a combination of materials in addition to aluminum, such as wood and plastic.
It may take some time to educate yourself about all the options available, but this will be time well spent. Where massage therapy supplies are concerned, the headrest is probably the first accessory you will start with. You can get around this by looking for a table that has what is called a breathe hole. This ensures a high level of comfort during the session as the client can lie face down and get the full benefits of the massage. Special care is necessary when buying second-hand equipment.
Before buying massage therapy supplies, it is important to do some research whether you are just starting out or a professional of long standing. For new masseuse, learning about the best equipment, tools and accessories is an important first step to help look professional. For those already established, things change quickly so what was the best five years ago may not be now.