Author Michael Dean Discusses Drift

IHB: Briefly describe your journey in writing your book.

Michael: My first inspiration to write started when I was a teenager. I had a storyline in my head that I always wanted to write. In my early twenties, I started a heavy metal band and did all the song writing. I realized I could do it, so, in my late twenties, I finally drew up the courage and started to write my first novel.

IHB: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Michael: In my early twenties while in my rock band.

IHB: Why did you decide to become a writer?

Michael: Because I love being able to captivate someone's mind through story.

IHB: What inspired you to write your first book?

Michael: When I saw that idiot, "The Truth" from Jersey Shore do it and become a best seller. I figured, if that moron could do it, so can I. Nah, lol, the realization that came to me that I had a story that hadn't been told before.

IHB: What do you hope readers will take from your writing?

Michael: Hopefully, that my storytelling is clear, concise, emotional, and the characters they will always remember.

IHB: What is your writing schedule like?

Michael: Being that I run my own business, my time is limited like so many others out there. I try to do 1,000-1,500 words a day.

IHB: Do you have any writing quirks? (Favorite shirt, pen, time of day?)

Michael: Yes. I like early afternoon, and late at night. I have a cat, his name is Fate, that sits with me, on my legs, while I do it. Now, I almost can't do it without him lol.

IHB: Where do you get your ideas for your books?

Michael: Mostly from real historical stories/figures from world history. I then create mythical characters based off those historical facts or myths.

IHB: How many books have you written? Do you have a favorite?

Michael: 4. Yes I do, but the one that is my favorite hasn't been picked up yet so I will keep it secret for now.

IHB: Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Michael: Yes. My grammar was really rusty.

IHB: Are you a full-time writer or part time?

Michael: Definitely part time because of my business. I hope to make it full time though.

IHB: What genre do you write in? Is there more than one?

Michael: YA, Paranormal, and just Fantasy.

IHB: Do you hear from your readers? What is their most asked question?

Michael: Being that this is the first novel in my DRIFT series, I am anxiously, and nervously, awaiting their feedback upon release March 1st 2013.

IHB: What do you think makes a good story?

Michael: Genuine characters that one can relate him/herself too and care for.

IHB: What motivates you to write?

Michael: Movie and music. It usually stirs up my visual sense which leads me to want to write a story to what I am thinking of.

IHB: Do you ever suffer from writer's block? What do you do to overcome it?

Michael: Never had it. I've always been able to keep the plot going.

IHB: Do you use outlines?

Michael: That actually means a couple of things to me. Not sure specifically what the question means.

IHB: What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?

Michael: Finding quiet time to write. I wait until late at night or early afternoon when I am alone in my house so I can do my thing.

IHB: Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell us about it.

Michael: Not really, other than the rush of what it felt like to be a young boy in love with a young girl. Those butterflies and nervous stutters we all get when confronted with our crush.

IHB: Where can people find out more about you and your writing?

Michael: More info will become available when I decide to get some sites (web or blog) up after the release of Drift book 1. Right now, Facebook.com/Drift, Facebook.com/Drift-The Novels and Twitter @ThatDriftDean has some snip-its and writing samples of Drift people can check out.

IHB: What is your marketing plan?

Michael: With a limited budget, I have been promoting Drift for about a year prior to its release on social sites like FB and Twitter. We are doing things like giving away the Drift Devil Girl shirts I have created, autographed bookmarks, we are giving away a Kindle Fire. I have had book/movie trailers made by some pro film makers. I have also given shirts to many high school girls, the demographic I am trying to reach as well, for them to wear around their schools and friends. Just trying to run a strong ground game before spending cash on advertising when the book is released.

IHB: Is your book self-published? What are your thoughts on traditional versus self-publishing?

Michael: No. It is represented and will be released by L&L Dreamspell Publishing. I think that self-publishing will be the way of the future being that technology has made it easier for the average Joe to get his/her projects out to the public. But the only advice I would give before self-publishing if you have to go that route right now, edit, edit, edit. Then, have a professional editor look it over.

IHB: What are your feelings about eBooks (for Kindle or Nook)?

Michael: Love them!

IHB: What do you do when you're not writing?

Michael: Work, spending time my beautiful fiancée, traveling and watching sports.

IHB: What is the most important thing you've learned during your journey as an author?

Michael: Patience and the will to push forward with your project. Rejection is a part of the business. Don't be afraid to be turned down. Just dust yourself off and try, try again. I think everyone's stories are good enough to be heard.

IHB: Do you have any advice for new authors?

Michael: Pretty much what I said above because that is the most discouraging part of being an author. Trying to get published. NEVER GIVE UP... NEVER!

IHB: What's next for you?

Michael: I want a movie deal for Drift. Won't stop until I get it.

IHB: Is this your first published work? What other types of writing, if any, have you done?

Michael: Yes. The Drift series is my first published work. Mainly just music writing prior to novel writing.

IHB: What books or authors have most influenced your life or writing?

Michael: Too many to name. Lord of The Rings Trilogy, anything by Stephen King, poets like H.P. Lovecraft and Samuel Taylor Cooleridge, etc.

IHB: What kinds of books do you like to read?

Michael: Where's Waldo! No LOL. Fantasy, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, suspense/thrillers, and more.

IHB: Please give us a brief synopsis about your current book and when and where it is available.

Michael: Drift is a YA Paranormal Fantasy. When young Leo Cutler commits treason against Hell for saving a life he was supposed to help end, punishment for this betrayal is on the menu, sure to be served cold by his demon overlord Christian. But it's not for fear of this certain retaliation that makes Leo renounce Hell; it is because he has fallen in love with the near-victim Shade Lewis. He will find that the first step to winning his freedom will not be an easy task, especially when the test involves going through Shade's murderous ex-boyfriend Darryl Kite, who has now, somehow, become demon as well. A battle ensues between the two teenage beasts in the midst of a strong Colorado snowstorm. With Shade's love compelling Leo forward, he will discover he has the courage to give up an eternal life and face the many obstacles that Christian will surely have awaiting him.

Drift will be released Friday March 1st. It will be available in eBook and paperback at first. You can purchase Drift at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Overdrive, Ominilit, AllRomance, ibookstore, etc. Pretty much wherever books, e or not, are sold. So go buy it! lol

IHB: If there was one thing you could tell your readers, what would it be?

Michael: If I can't make you fall in love with my protagonists, then you will just have to love me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment